1. Describe in five words or less how you feel about Order of the Phoenix. (your initial reaction)
Poorly written and overly informative.
2. What are your feelings on Harry's personality? Do you think he is overly cynical, depressed, etc. . . .?
I'm so glad that he's... well, for lack of a better word... matured into a real person with real feelings of jealousy, guilt, angst, depression, anger, self-hatred, and self-pity that I can safely say I find his personality sufficiently human at last. I'm proud of him and proud of the character. I also think he'd very much justified in his moodiness, so anyone who thinks otherwise can shut the fuck up when they're around me, mmkay?
3. Do you think Order of the Phoenix is appropriate for children 13 and younger? Why or why not?
I'm not a child under thirteen and thus can't judge how "appropriate" it is. That anyone would ask this question mystifies me. Lump sums do not equal lump reactions.
4. List your five most hated characters and five most loved characters (Either in Book 5 or the whole series, non-humans can be included).
1. Sirius (the hatred still burns strongly, even after death)
2. Umbridge (I've known this woman, I swear it)
3. Draco (he's a prick and those of you who have yet to see this are... odd)
4. Cho (she's stupid... very, very stupid)
5. Tonks (though she's slowly growing on me... slowly)
1. Harry (OMFG he's a real person now squeeeeeeewithscarstoboot)
2. Remus (him pulling Harry back from the arch reminded me oddly of Justin pulling back Mrs. Brisby from her sinking home in the animated Secret of NIMH... watch it; you'll see the resemblance)
3. Hermione (is so cute I may squee myself to a bloody pulp)
4. Professor McGonagall (when I grow up I wanna be just like her)
5. Snape (Twas a tough choice but... oooh, James was so nasty. We're debating our James love affair for the moment. And Snape just... is Snape. Hmm. The domestic abuse scene is swaying me, though I really shouldn't let it, should I?)
5. Percy turned away from his family. Will he come crawling back to them now or . . .?
I have visions of Percy running away to handle hedgehogs in a traveling circus. That or birth Oliver Wood's love child, whichever works...
6. What did you think of the new DADA's punishment? Why didn't Harry nor Lee complain?
Oh... as mimine pointed out, the allusion to self-injury in that is so prominent one can scarcely refer to it euphemistically. THE MOST DISTURBING PASSAGES IN THE BOOK FOR ME. Period. The emotions Harry expressed, from not wanting to give in to wanting to subtly reveal his scratches to Cho for the attention, are all emotions that I associate with self-injury and mutilation. That a message is being carved into his flesh is EXCEEDINGLY significant, as most self-injurers do carve words into their skin (often derogatory or downright nasty). It was so familiar as to be horrifying. What was rather unfamiliar, however, was how quickly Harry's (rather extensive) scarring began to heal. White within a few weeks? Oh no, no, no. Pink for years, Ms. Rowling. Unless, I suppose, there is magic involved.
Why didn't they complain? Isn't having a condescending message on the back of your hand enough without the stigma attached?
7. What do you think of James and Lily now?
The jury is still out on James. Lily... no problems as of yet.
8. Has your opinion (which is probably not too good) of Petunia Dursley changed? If yes, how so?
The Dursleys remain nothing but cartoonish outlines of real characters to me. There isn't a lot I have to say about any of them.
9. What's the meaning of Snape's nickname in your opinion?
Sniveling... well, perhaps he was a bit of a teacher's pet? He wrote an awful lot for his O.W.L.s, it seemed. Ingratiating himself to the teacher? Sniveling? Something of the sort. Sniveling Severus has a bit of a ring to it, wouldn't you say?
10. What do you think of the character death? Do you think s/he will return?
Glad. Though not entirely necessary or even shocking and powerful as it was supposed to be, I thought, but whatever. And no... he's not coming back. Sometimes dead is better.
11. Do you think fanfiction will be hurt by Book 5? Do you see any new pairings arising? Do you see any huge ships falling apart?
Fanfiction written between GoF and OotP will begin to crumple... most of it, at least. Most of mine has been shot down. Ah well. I hope Harry/Draco begins to wane... and I know it won't, but I wish Remus/Sirius would too. An upsurgance in Sirius/James, perhaps? Sirius/Harry? Grieving eulogies (oh, it's already happened)? Snape/Harry, practically a given for a boost. As is Lucius/Snape and Snape/James (haha, enemies! They must luv each other, RIGHT??!!!!1) Hmm... new pairings... what about Bellatrix/Sirius? I'd pay good money to read that. Luna/Hermione? And I've already seen it, but... Tonks/Remus (shudders)?
And I hold out hope for my Remus/Harry darlings.
12. What was your favourite chapter in Order of the Phoenix? Why?
I certainly don't have a favorite chapter, but the moments that stood out for me are as follows:
"Yes, but the world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters... I know she's a nasty piece of work, though--you should hear Remus talk about her." - Percy and Padfoot
"Harry's detentions with Umbridge were finally over (he doubted whether the words now etched on the back of his hand would ever fade entirely)" - In the Hog's Head
"... and suddenly Harry's mind was teeming with memories that were not his--a hook-nosed man was shouting at a cowering woman, while a small dark-haired boy cried in a corner... it was unnerving to think that the crying little boy who had watched his parents shouting was actually standing in front of him with such loathing in his eyes" - Seen and Unforeseen
"Harry struggled hard and viciously, but Lupin would not let go.... 'There's nothing you can do, Harry... nothing.... He's gone.'" - Beyond the Veil
13. Talk about Fred and George's "flight."
Interesting, but I probably would have taken a Hermione-ish role and tried to persuade them to finish school. What a way to go, though...
14. Give some thoughts on Ron.
15. What did you think of Dumbledore's explanation?
I'm not sure. I guess it didn't feel like as much of a revelation as it should have felt... it was all so... common sense-ish.
16. Do you feel satisfied by this book?
Mmm... no, not really. There are a lot of bits about it that continue to bother me, most of them obvious. Still, I must admit, I absolutely zoomed through the final one hundred pages.
17. How anxious are you now for Book 6?
Yeah, I can't wait to see who she kills off next! Beee-yatch.